Subscribe to the podcast!
What can we learn from political speeches to apply to our own presentations?
Quite a bit!
For this episode, we watched speeches given by former First Lady Michelle Obama, Senator and Presidential Candidate Elizabeth Warren, and Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (known as AOC).
I’m joined by one of our speaking coaches Diane Diaz as we talk about the similarities and differences in their speeches, including:
- Understanding who their real audience is
- Using certain stories and historical references to relate to their audience
- The impact of visual imagery when telling a story
- Repetition of key phrases
- The change in tone and content between Michelle Obama’s 2008 and 2016 DNC speeches – and why
- The role authenticity plays
- Stereotypes that women leaders have to overcome
- The generational differences we see with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s speaking style
This episode is part of our Storytelling series, episodes 137-140.
About Us: The Speaking Your Brand podcast is hosted by Carol Cox. In this episode, Carol is joined by one of our speaking coaches, Diane Diaz. At Speaking Your Brand, we help women entrepreneurs and professionals create their signature talks and gain more visibility to achieve their goals. Our mission is to get more women in positions of influence and power: on stages, in businesses, on boards, in the media, in politics, and in our communities. Check out our coaching programs at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com.
- Michelle Obama’s 2008 DNC speech
- Michelle Obama’s 2016 DNC speech
- Elizabeth Warren’s Sept. 2019 campaign speech
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez speeches
- Greta Thunberg’s speech at the United Nations Climate Summit 2019
Show notes at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/140
Get on the interest list for the Master Your Speaking group coaching program at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/mastery.
Sign up for a Strategy Session at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/strategy.
Create your signature talk or TEDx talk. Get all the details at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/coaching.
Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts and leave a review!
Related Podcast Episodes:
- Episode 92: Deconstructing My TEDx Talk: Why We’re Uncomfortable with Women in Power
- Episode 94: Speaking and Showing Up Powerfully as Women with Molly Baker McPherson
- Episode 125: Handling Hard Conversations at Live Events with Sarah & Beth of Pantsuit Politics
- Episode 137: The Missing Ingredients in Your Stories [Storytelling Series]