Subscribe to the podcast!
This conversation is one I’ll be listening to again, especially the end (!).
Is there something that has held you back from being more visible, whether it’s sharing a powerful message or standing on a stage in front of an audience?
You’re far from alone.
As women, we’ve grown up with societal and cultural messages (some subtle and subconscious, others not) that can influence us to keep quiet, not share our strong opinions, or even feel fearful of being seen.
This episode with my guest Eleanor Beaton is a powerful and enlightening conversation on the mindset shifts and strategies we can use to be willing to be seen and heard – and why as women it’s so important for us to do so.
Eleanor and I talk about:
- The mixed messages she received growing up about being bold
- Her work as a journalist and the distance that provided by not having to have an opinion on the story being covered
- In contrast, my work as a political commentator on TV and having to share my opinions
- Eleanor’s story of being interviewed and feeling like it was life and death
- Why sharing a deeper message feels so vulnerable
- The 4 mindset shifts Eleanor recommends
- We both share practical strategies we use to deal with criticism with strangers
- The importance of living life vividly so you have real and rich material to work with as a speaker
- Embodying your message as a speaker, like musicians and performers do
About My Guest: Eleanor Beaton is a women’s leadership mentor and founder of Fierce Feminine Leadership, an organization that helps ambitious women develop the confidence, presence, political savvy and influence they need to smash the glass ceiling and take their seats at the tables where the big deals and big decisions are made. Eleanor is also an award-winning journalist and host of the Fierce Feminine Leadership podcast. She has served as Chair of the Visiting Women’s Executive Exchange Program at the Yale School of Management. She currently sits on the boards of Innovacorp and Invest Nova Scotia.
About Us: The Speaking Your Brand podcast is hosted by Carol Cox. At Speaking Your Brand, we help women entrepreneurs and professionals create their signature talks and gain more visibility to achieve their goals. Our mission is to get more women in positions of influence and power: on stages, in businesses, on boards, in the media, in politics, and in our communities. Check out our coaching programs at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com.
Show notes at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/128
Eleanor’s website: https://eleanorbeaton.com/
Listen to Eleanor’s podcast Fierce Feminine Leadership: http://www.eleanorbeatonpodcast.com/
Connect with Eleanor on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eleanorbeaton/
Connect with Carol on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carolcox/
Join the free Speaking Your Brand community at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/join/ or text the word SPEAKING to 444-999.
Create your signature talk or TEDx talk. Get all the details and apply online at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/coaching.
Related Podcast Episodes:
- Episode 40: Why Women Need to Speak Up and Roar with Sophia Eng
- Episode 92: Deconstructing My TEDx Talk: Why We’re Uncomfortable with Women in Power
- Episode 94: Speaking and Showing Up Powerfully as Women with Molly Baker McPherson
- Episode 97: Thinking Bigger – I Get Coached On-Air by Geraldine Carter
- Episode 118: Push Past Your Speaking Plateau