If you have doing a TEDx talk on your list, you’ll need a TED-worthy idea, an “idea worth spreading.”
How do you know if you have a *really good* idea for a speech, one that’s going to make an impact, whether it’s for TEDx or a keynote?
In this episode, my guest Lori DiGuardi, a TEDx and professional speaker, and I discuss:
- What makes a great talk
- How an “idea” is different from a “topic”
- How Lori came up with her TEDx idea
- Why people are chosen and aren’t chosen as TEDx speakers
- Questions to ask yourself as you work through your idea
- How to handle nerves when giving an important talk, including what happened to Lori during dress rehearsal (you’ve already heard my story of TEDx nerves in episode 92)
- And more.
About My Guest: Lori DiGuardi is a visionary leader. She is a TEDx and professional speaker, and a TEDx and certified life coach. Courageous women hire Lori to reconnect and give voice to their inner-truth. The foundation of her work is based on a life of poverty and abuse as a child and young woman, to becoming an international empowerment leader for over 22 years. Her audiences have included business professionals, educators, students, entrepreneurs, dignitaries and royalty. She was awarded an MS in Leadership, a Black Belt in Karate, and Service Above Self for her humanitarian work in Uganda. She is author of Anger 101: The Healthy Approach to Being a Bitch.
The Speaking Your Brand podcast is hosted by Carol Cox. At Speaking Your Brand, we help women entrepreneurs and professionals create their signature talks and gain more visibility to achieve their goals. Our mission is to get more women in positions of influence and power: on stages, in businesses, on boards, in the media, in politics, and in our communities. Check out our coaching programs and workshops at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com.
Check out Lori’s website: https://www.loridiguardi.com/
Free PDF guide: https://www.loridiguardi.com/tedx/
Watch Lori’s TEDx talk: https://youtu.be/2rhYlDKO_2U
Subscribe to Lori’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/LeadWithPersonalPower/
Marianne Williamson’s speech at the Washington Cathedral: https://youtu.be/e7ZV0REbpkQ
Book recommendation: “Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women’s Anger” by Rebecca Traister
Join the free Speaking Your Brand community at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/join/ or text the word SPEAKING to 444-999.
Sign up for a Strategy Session at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/strategy.
Related Podcast Episodes:
- Episode 24: What It Takes to Do a TEDx Talk with Tammy Lally
- Episode 56: How to Become a TEDx Speaker with Tamsen Webster
- Episode 91: Visibility Works: From Local Speaking to TED.com to a Book with Tammy Lally
- Episode 92: Deconstructing My TEDx Talk – Why We’re Uncomfortable with Women in Power