Subscribe to the podcast!
You’re going to love this episode, so much so that you may want to listen to it more than once.
It’s packed with what you need in order to get paid speaking engagements.
There are 5 key elements that event planners look for in speakers they hire.
In this episode, you’ll learn what these key elements are and how to position yourself as a paid speaker.
My guest is Li Hayes, who is a speaker manager and also facilitates speakers’ exchange groups.
Li has been on both sides: helping event planners find speakers and helping speakers get paid gigs, so she knows exactly what speakers need – and what they’re lacking that’s preventing them from getting paid engagements.
In this episode, Li and I talk about:
- “Famous is relative”
- Finding your inner dominatrix (well, *you* don’t have to find your inner dominatrix, but this is a great example of an interesting topic)
- Why there are very few women keynote speakers who make more than $10,000
- How to promote yourself as a premium speaker
- The importance of video clips
- The difference between a PR person, a speaker manager, an agent, and a bureau
- Tips for speaking for lead generation
- Speaker fees and how much associations tend to pay
- Tips for negotiating your fees
About My Guest: Li Hayes is a professional Speaker Liaison who facilitates the business communications and contracts between top quality business speakers and great events. Prior to founding GoLeeward, the un-agency for business speakers, she spent over 15 years in Human Resources on the other side of the speaker industry – planning conferences and business meetings first in the service and hospitality industries and then in Big Dia/Pharma. Li planned national conferences, as well as leadership retreats, and employee training events utilizing professional speakers, consultants and agencies. She has worked with speaker bureaus and directly with speakers and learned the ins and outs of hiring speakers, from the client’s point of view. She proudly supports a small stable of top business speakers and helps clients create successful, engaging events.
About Us: The Speaking Your Brand podcast is hosted by Carol Cox. At Speaking Your Brand, we help women entrepreneurs and professionals create their signature talks and gain more visibility to achieve their goals. Our mission is to get more women in positions of influence and power: on stages, in businesses, on boards, in the media, in politics, and in our communities. Check out our coaching programs at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com.
Li’s website: https://goleeward.com/
Join the free Speaking Your Brand community at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/join/ or text the word SPEAKING to 444-999.
Need help identifying your topic and audience? Sign up for a Strategy Session at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/strategy.
Related Podcast Episodes:
- Episode 59: Why You Shouldn’t Sell from the Stage – and What to Do Instead
- Episode 60: Finding Your Presentation’s Spine & Why It Absolutely Needs One with Joanna Sapir [Coaching]
- Episode 68: Getting Paid to Speak and Negotiating Speaker Fees
- Episode 69: What Event Organizers Look for in Speakers with Erin Smith
- Episode 71: Using Humor in Your Talks Will Get You More Speaking Gigs with Kathy Klotz-Guest