Subscribe to the podcast!
We’ve been talking about thought leadership for the past few episodes – what it means to be a thought leader, what thought leaders have in common, and the importance of having a container/project for your message.
My guest Elayne Fluker has done exactly that – even though she didn’t start out with that plan in mind.
It evolved as she paid attention to what she needed and what she was hearing from her audience and community.
From a personal mantra of “Support is Sexy” to a hashtag to a podcast and now a book coming out in 2021 with HarperCollins Leadership, Elayne’s evolution shows how powerful it can be to stay consistent with your message and to give your audience a way to be involved.
It was such a joy to have this conversation with Elayne and I know you’re going to leave it feeling inspired.
Elayne and I talk about:
- Her recent decision to make the intentional and transparent change about who she works with in her business, beyond the “riches in the niches,” to a calling to serve Black women entrepreneurs
- The unique challenges Black women entrepreneurs face (Sojourner Syndrome and Superwoman Syndrome)
- How an event Elayne attended in 2015 sparked “Support is Sexy” for her
- The two things people find the hardest to ask for: love and support
- How “Support is Sexy” grew from a personal mantra to a hashtag to a podcast to a book
- Paying attention to who you’re already serving and what they’re naturally getting behind
- How Elayne got her book agent and book contract with a traditional publisher
- What Elayne did when she finished the first draft of her book and it was only half the length it needed to be and she had no idea what else to add to it
About My Guest: Elayne Fluker is a coach and advisor for Black women who want to make entrepreneurship part of their next chapter. Elayne is also the founder of the content and consulting agency, Chic Rebellion Media, and she is creator of Support is Sexy, her beloved podcast featuring interviews with more than 500 diverse women entrepreneurs around the world. In 2019, Elayne founded SiS.Academy — an online learning platform with video workshops taught by top women entrepreneurs and experts — to help women have access to information that will help them grow their businesses. Her first book, which encourages unapologetically ambitious women to get over “I Got It!” Syndrome and embrace support as their super power, will be published by HarperCollins Leadership in 2021.
About Us: The Speaking Your Brand podcast is hosted by Carol Cox. At Speaking Your Brand, we help women entrepreneurs and professionals clarify their brand message and story, create their signature talks, and develop their thought leadership platforms. Our mission is to get more women in positions of influence and power because it’s through women’s stories and visibility that we challenge the status quo and change existing systems. Check out our coaching programs at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com.
Show notes at https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/186
Pre-order Elayne’s upcoming book “Get Over ‘I Got It’”: getoverigotit.com
Listen to Elayne’s podcast “Support is Sexy”: http://elaynefluker.com/podcast/
Elayne’s Black. Women. Business. newsletter on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/newsletters/black-women-business-6683882050593841152/
Elayne’s Black. Women. Business. community for Black women entrepreneurs: blackwomenbusiness.us.
Elayne’s SiS.academy: https://www.sis.academy/
Carol’s book coach Joelle Hahn: https://brooklynbookdoctor.com/
Subscribe to get updates about the Speaking Your Brand live virtual summit on October 15: https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/summit/
Schedule a consult call to talk about creating your signature talk and thought leadership platform: https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/contact.
Connect on LinkedIn:
- Carol Cox = https://www.linkedin.com/in/carolcox
- Elayne Fluker (guest) = https://www.linkedin.com/in/elaynefluker/
Related Podcast Episodes:
- Episode 167: Creating a Sense of Belonging with Your Audience with Traci Baxley, Ed.D.
- Episode 180: You Say You Want to be a Thought Leader: What That Really Means & How to Find Your Voice with Carol Cox and Diane Diaz
- Episode 184: Why Some Speakers Become Thought Leaders with Carol Cox [Thought Leadership Series]